Punjabi Samosa, a crispy and spicy deep fried snack that has a crisp and flaky outer layer made of purpose flour and rich filling of mashed potato, peas and spices is a popular street food of India. It’s a favourite snack among people of all ages and generally served with masala tea and tamarind chutney as afternoon snack. The main thing about this snack is it can be prepared with one’s liking of perfect not too hot, tangy and spicy taste. Desi Gabbar gets you the recipe for Samosa. Here you go!
- PreTime 00 h 10 m
- CookTime 00 h 25 m
- Serving 4Persons
Share with your friends
Ingredients & Method
- Maida – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Carom seeds - ½ tsp
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cold water as required For Samosa Masala
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tbsp For Samosa Filling
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Chopped ginger – 1 inch
- Chopped green chilies - 2
- Raisins – 10 to 12
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ¼ tsp
- Boiled potatoes & slightly mashed – 4 to 5
- Green peas – ¼ cup
- Prepared Masala - 1 ½ tbsp
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- 1 tsp Dry Mango powder – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl add maida, salt, carom seeds, ghee and mix everything properly until it resembles bread crumb consistency.
- Now add cold water and knead a hard dough. Cover and keep aside for resting at least for 15-20 minutes. For Samosa Masala
- In a pan add coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and roast them lightly.
- Transfer them into a motor-pastel and crush them coarsely and keep aside for further use. For Samosa Filling
- In a pan add ghee, ginger, garlic, green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Now add raisins, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida, potatoes, green peas and mash it coarsely, mix everything properly and cover and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now remove the cover and cook on high flames for 3-4 minutes or until light charred.
- Add the prepared masala, black pepper powder, dry Mango powder, salt and mix everything properly. And keep aside for further use. For Assembling Samosa.
- Take a medium portion of the dough, make a round and roll it thin in an oval shape.
- Now cut in from the center and take one half of it and make a cone shape of it and add the filling in it.
- Now apply water on the open ends of the cone and fold it towards you, keep it down and give it a gentle press so that it can stand, make all others in the similar way.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium heat and fry the samosas in it until golden brown from all sides, remove on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup. *Yummy tips to enjoy by Samosa: Samosa is serve with green chutney & red chutney. Finally enjoy potato Samosa as an evening snack.
- #keepitsimple recipes by Desi Gabbar